Friday, March 18, 2016

Show the Love of Jesus

Yesterday morning on our very short ride to school, sweet Addi said, "Mommy, you don't have to worry about me pinching anyone who isn't wearing green today.  I know that will not show the love of Jesus."

Oh, how my girl's words ring with such truth.

This country is in such a tumultuous state.  It sickens me to watch the news.  The hate that is being spewed by others is just disgusting.  The saddest part is that it is coming from all sides.  No one group is safe from the hate and no one group is completely innocent in spreading hate.

Why can't people understand what my six-year-old understands?  Why is it so difficult to grasp that we are not showing the love of Jesus when we intentionally hurt others?

There are people who could so benefit from the church, but they refuse to step foot into one because they feel that Christians are hypocrites.  And a lot of Christians are. Admittedly, I've been there.  Judging one sin as worse than another.  "Well, I had a bad thought about this person, but it's OK because they belong to this group of people who believe it's OK to..."  That thought...that judgmental action just made me break a commandment that I KNOW is wrong.  Is that any better than the person who is breaking a commandment but isn't a Christian?  I would venture to say that if there was a scale for which sin is worse, mine might tip it.

I keep mulling over a conversation I recently had with someone who is terrified at the thought of Christian friends finding out a secret.  The situation is sad, but the fear she has completely breaks my heart. Shouldn't we be the ones that this person runs to?  Shouldn't we embrace this person and love them and promise to join with them in prayer over what is breaking her heart?  Shouldn't we look into her eyes and tell her with all sincerity that there is no judgement here, just care?  If we aren't doing that as the church, than who is?  If we can't be a light for those living in the light, how can we be a light to those in the dark?

So this morning, as we prepare to head into the last few days before Easter, let's challenge each other to show the love of Jesus.  Smile at a stranger.  Purchase someones meal.  Give an extra few dollars to the irritable waitress whose story you don't know.  Embrace the hurting.  Look people in the eyes.  Hug a friend.  Call someone you've "been meaning to call."  Be friends with those who believe differently than you.  Be friends with those who believe the same as you.  Love unconditionally.

1 Corinthians 13

1If I could speak all the languages of earth and of angels, but didn’t love others, I would only be a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I understood all of God’s secret plans and possessed all knowledge, and if I had such faith that I could move mountains, but didn’t love others, I would be nothing. 3If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it;a but if I didn’t love others, I would have gained nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment