Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Be Still

The news today is horrifying.  Everything I read is just sad.  It breaks my heart.  It's scary, too.  I have to wonder what this world will be like in just a few months.  What will this nation be like?

I am also currently dealing with a child who is angry and sad about a punishment.  I am sad, too.  The punishment - though necessary - is not fun for either of us.  Our hope is that this will help in this child's growth.  I guess time will tell.  Right now though, the idea of parenting our children to adulthood is a bit daunting.

With all this sadness, all this angst, all this terror, what's a girl to do?  Well, God says,

“Be still, and know that I am God"  Psalm 46:10

The suggestion is simple. The follow-through, not so much.

It's just in my nature to want to fix things...and control things.  It's taken me more years than I care to admit to acknowledge that I have control issues.  MAJOR control issues at time.  So when the world is spinning into chaos, when terrorism prevails, when our nation is demising, when children are angry, how can I just BE STILL?

The answer lies in the verses before:

Psalm 46

1God is our refuge and strength,
an ever-present help in trouble.
2Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
3though its waters roar and foam
and the mountains quake with their surging.c
4There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
the holy place where the Most High dwells.
5God is within her, she will not fall;
God will help her at break of day.
6Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall;
he lifts his voice, the earth melts.
7The Lord Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.
8Come and see what the Lord has done,
the desolations he has brought on the earth.
9He makes wars cease
to the ends of the earth.
He breaks the bow and shatters the spear;
he burns the shieldsd with fire.

It is after these descriptions (that He is our refuge, or strength, our ever-present help, and always with us) that God then tells us to, "Be STILL and KNOW that I am God."

A quick google search of the definition of "still" made me find this...to be still can mean "rooted to the spot."  I love that.  A synonym for "know" is to "be conscious."

So if I look at that verse again with those definitions in mind, it may look something like this:

Be still - rooted in Me and My promises - and know that I am God - be conscious and aware of My goodness.

So, today I will rest IN Him.  I will trust IN Him.  I will remember that the God who calms the storm is the same God that dwells in me.  I will remember that He alone is my strength.  I will be thankful.  I won't just be thankful, I will make a conscious effort to thank Him.

Please know I am not saying that God wants me, or any of us, to just focus solely on resting and not help others.  Stillness can reside in our souls even when we are on the trenches.  But, today, I will not try to fix things without first quieting my thoughts and turning to Him.  I will ask Him how He wants me to proceed in all situations.

I will shut my mouth and listen to Him.  I will turn off the news and turn up the praise.  I will be STILL.  And, I will take a nap.

Ok, with three littles (two of whom never nap and a baby who barely naps for more than a few minutes at a time) that last sentence is just wishful thinking.  ;)  And, the perfect opportunity to include this photo of my little guy - because some days, you just can't even make it through breakfast before needing to just be still. :)





No comments:

Post a Comment