Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Fixing My Eyes On Him

This morning I woke up with the song, "Fix my eyes" running through my head.  So, I prayed that God would help me to fix my eyes on Him today.  Cue the applause and the encouraging, "Way to go, Mama!" ;). Then, stop.

You know what happened? Less than an hour later, the second born - our sensitive, middle child - woke up...begging for, no, demanding breakfast.  Right as the first born - our "my way or the highway" one - woke up grouchy because it's only Wednesday and "Why do you always make me go to school, Mommy?!?!"  Then, the husband - the usually level-headed but extremely passionate about all the things he loves one - showed me a not so nice message to him from a not so nice person.  Then, the last born - the one who doesn't understand why anything should come before him - started screaming because that is how he wakes up...with a scream...every.single.time.

There was fussing.  There was chaos.  There was a "You're being mean, Mommy" (from the overly sensitive one because I wasn't getting breakfast fast enough). There was a massive hunt for a colored sock, because the only day that we have matching socks in the drawer is the day that it's wacky tacky day at school. There was a moment of chastising my husband only because I was upset that someone was mean to him.  (Have I mentioned that I am the uncontrollable, irrational one in the family?)  There was food all over the floor...ALL over the floor...thanks to a little one-year-old who thinks food is for throwing only these days.  There was rushing.  There was forgotten snack, which meant there were two trips to school.  There was a judgemental attitude when I dropped my daughter off and wondered why someone would ever dress so risqué while taking her children to school. (Yes, I know this was wrong of me.). There was an "Oops!  Sorry I didn't pack your lunch, Honey" as my husband left the house.  There was a whole lot of failing and not any "fixing."

By 8:15 this morning I was prepared to just write off the day as a not so great one and try again tomorrow.

Instead, I prayed and I was reminded of this:

Through the Lord’s mercies we are not consumed,
Because His compassions fail not.
23 They are new every morning;
Great is Your faithfulness. - Lamentations 3:22-23

You know what?  If they're new every morning, that means they're new whenever we ask. Amen?  So, I asked for forgiveness and God's help in remembering that I am not running a sprint...I am running a marathon. (Something my sister reminded me of yesterday in regards to something else).  I can pace myself, I can fall and get back up with confidence, I can run and "not grow weary." Isaiah 40:31.  So can you.  :). Our lives will never be perfect, but by fixing our eyes on Him, we can see how to look past our failure and move towards being more like Him.

Jeremiah 2:25a, “Slow down. Take a deep breath. What’s the hurry? Why wear yourself out? Just what are you after anyway?” (MSG)

The things of Earth are dimming

In the light of Your glory and grace

I'll set my sights upon Heaven

I'm fixing my eyes on you

Read more: For KING & COUNTRY - Fix My Eyes Lyrics | MetroLyrics 


No comments:

Post a Comment