Tuesday, June 21, 2016

This Is My Happy Place

This is my happy place.

This home that contains some incredible humans.

The toddler who says, "Ummm...good!" every time he approves of a food item.  Who tries to climb all the things.  Who will give quick hugs only...because there is just so much stuff to find to get into.  Who walks around the house just laughing...at everything...at nothing...at life.  Our joyous one...our blessing after the storm.

The 5-year-old who is brave amongst these walls of this happy place, but not so brave outside of them.  The boy who observes...watches...feels with his whole heart.  He knows what makes people smile and he pursues those smiles.  Our little giver...our "surprise" baby who we foolishly thought was entering our family a little too soon.

The 6-year-old who knows how to drive this mama crazy and make me melt into a puddle of love all at the same time.  Who works hard to be "good and kind" because she knows that's what shows the love of Jesus the best.  The one who is dramatic, feisty, tender, tough, sweet and silly all mixed together.  Our firecracker...our miracle baby who proved the doctors had no clue what they were talking about just months before she was conceived.

My husband.  My rock.  The one who has rejoiced with me in the good, cried with me in the bad, prayed for me in the really rotten, and loved me through it all.  He loves Jesus, the Hokies, basketball, NASCAR,  his church, his family, and me.  His passion for life inspires me.  His kind heart softens me.  His love carries me (not like God's love carries me, because, of course, we both know we're NOTHING without Him).

This is my happy place.

There's a reason that statement hangs on my living room wall.

These people.  My people.  They are my happy place.

As I prepare to close the chapter to another year of life, I reflect.  Another year older, but really only another day older.  Another year of life lived well...and, sometimes, not so well.  In this house, we try to focus on the well and just let the rest teach us lessons.

The lessons abounded this year, but grace, God's sweet grace, it abounded more. (Romans 5:20)  

Our kids already are learning about grace.  The older kids ask us to "show them grace" when getting punished.  The littlest one will walk behind this mama singing, "Grays, grays. (Grace, grace)"  And, while none of them have a true grasp on real Grace, they are very aware that it exists.  They'll learn...and it all started here, in our happy place.

So, while the news swirls with stories of despair, grief, tragedy that is unbearable...our home, it swirls with love, joy, and peace.  Not always, but mostly.  

For that, I am thankful.  For the honor of tucking three babies in their beds at night, I am grateful.  For the joy of waking up to my sweet husband in the morning, I am incredibly appreciative.  For entering into another year with my family, in my happy place, I am thrilled.

For the ability to see God's Grace in all things, I am beyond words.

But because God was so gracious, so very generous, here I am. And I’m not about to let his grace go to waste." 1 Corinthians 15:10

No comments:

Post a Comment