Friday, May 27, 2016

How Can You Be FIVE????

I thought about this blog post earlier this week while you were singing a Brooklyn Tabernacle praise song on your karaoke machine.  Your sister had joined in on the fun and your baby brother was clapping and dancing.  And, me?  I was crying...actually, sobbing.  Usually moments like that are filled only with joyful tears, but this time they were bittersweet.  Tears that fell at the thought of how much you love to sing praises, and tears that fell at the thought of how you are growing much too fast.

As I type, the tears fall once more.

This year...wow.  It was the year I had you to "myself" (albeit with a little baby in tow).  You've been my sidekick while your sister has been in school.  My thoughtful boy who loves to surprise me with "morning feasts" on a blanket in the living room.  My brave guy who valiantly stood fear in the face and made your dream of being a basketball player come true.  My determined little man who just this week mastered how to tie a shoe because it was your plan all along...to tie before you reached the age of five.

You are fiercely loyal to your daddy who is your best friend and the man you dream of being like.  You are just the way a little brother should be to your big sister...silly, funny, and mean all mixed together.  You two - our little "Riff and Raff" - are the best of friends.  Your daddy and I can already see how your little brother wants to be just like you.  You are patient and kind to him and have taught him the important things in life right now:  how to play with cars, how to wrestle, and how to throw a ball.  You beam every time you teach him something new and so does he...and, so do I.

We have watched you grow so much this year. Until this year, you cried almost every time we dropped you off at your class in church.  Sometime after you turned four, you decided that you just weren't going to cry about that anymore.  Just like that, you stopped.  You've learned that you can speak to other adults and not be afraid.  The joy I saw on your Sunday School teacher's face when she told me that you talked to her much resembles the joy on mine when you just randomly talk to people in public.  It thrills my heart to know you're more secure in that area.

This year, we'll watch you grow more.  We'll walk you into a classroom filled with kids you've never met and we'll pray that you not only find your wings, but that you'll soar.  You see, right now, you are still terrified to talk to other kids your age (unless you know them really well).  It scares this mama and tugs at all kinds of emotions to think that I will have to leave you to fend for yourself.  Yet, I know, that by doing so, you'll grow.  You will reach within your being, determine to make things happen, and then, you will.  That's the way you are.   You did it when you promised us for months that at the age of three you'd be completely potty trained.  You did it with basketball.  You did it with shoe tying. You did it with church.  You'll do it again with so many things.

My sweet Bro-Bro...the boy who loves to stay up late with me when Daddy's at the gym, the boy who loves to sing both praise songs and Brad Paisley songs (that is Daddy's fault!), the boy who dreams of being a race car driver, an astronaut, a police officer, and a basketball player...welcome to age FIVE!  You have waited for this age since before you were four.  I cannot see what happens with you this year.  There is no doubt in my mind that you will fly higher than you ever have before.

I love you with all the love a mama can hold for her very own superhero!

Love,
Mommy







No comments:

Post a Comment