Thursday, September 8, 2016

A Lesson On Grace From My Girl

"They didn't have them ready after I called last night to make sure they would be ready by 7:00 this morning!"  I yelled out to my husband as I rushed in the door.

One school-aged child was still in bed, the other one was not ready, lunches were unmade, and we had to leave for school in 40 minutes.  Rushing ensued as I frantically yelled to the kids to hurry up.

Chaos mounted.  The baby was wailing for "wata".  My precious 5-year-old boy was growing more anxious by the moment. Mr. Wonderful was trying to figure out what I wanted him to do when I didn't even know what I wanted him to do.

My sweet girl - the one who is feisty like her mama - looked at me and smiled.  "It's OK, Mommy.  Just email the pictures to my teacher so she can show the class."

And, like that, my little girl "unrushed" me.  As I looked into her beautiful eyes, I remembered what is important.  I am working alongside my husband to raise little souls to love Jesus and handle life situations with grace.  I was being anything but gracious in my frenzied, hurried state.

I took a deep breath as I took her suggestion.  You could literally feel the tension fade as we all calmed down.  Our morning became beautiful.  Filled with laughter, sweet conversations and a walk to school that allowed us to savor time with each other instead of worrying about being late.

The six-year-old who is responsible for the bulk of my grey hair turned our family's entire day around.  I thanked her as we walked to school.

"Mommy, I love you more than pictures of Pete the Cat and I know you tried to get those pictures."

Grace...she's getting it and, now, she's teaching me.



No comments:

Post a Comment